Pages



Tuesday 17 February 2015

Finding Inspiration: Granny Square Blanket

Ooh, I'm excited! I spent quite a bit of time last night enthusiastically and madly pinning all manner of wonderful ideas to my latest Pinterest board - The Granny Square Blanket. I've been toying with the idea of a Granny Square blanket for a long time but was inspired by a pattern I saw in issue 48of Mollie Makes magazine and I've been musing ever since.

But what even is a Granny Square I hear you cry? And, moreover, why, in the name of all that is holy, is it called a Granny Square? Well, my dear friends, I have some answers. A Granny Square is a square (duh) made of crocheted yarn that starts in the middle and works out and can, as you will see if you patiently read this post, into all MANNER of wonderful motifs, from very simple to the downright wacky. Why is it called a Granny Square? Damned if I know. Probably because who else has the time to sit around crocheting squares? Seriously though, if you know, please let me know in the comments below. Every day is, after all, a school day.

So, the learning bit out of the way, let's look at some pictures. As I mentioned, I got a bit excited when I was doing my pinning yesterday. Some of my pictures were of beautiful, grown-up, muted palettes, like this:

Sunburst Granny Squares Blanket: free pattern
Picture from Ravelry

Some were more complex variations of this grown up style using different sized squares:


I am saving this for the idea of using different size granny squares in a blanket. This of course, could be any color combo of 4 of your choosing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/26574806@N04/5232013914/in/pool-crochet_afghans

Then, things got out of hand. Sunflower Granny Square? Er, yes please!

http://beacrafter.com/crochet-sunflower-granny-square/

How about an owl? An owl?! In frigging crotchet?! To go on a blanket?! Of-bloody-course!

Owl Granny Square Crochet Pattern
http://craftgawker.com/post/2012/11/08/40413/

Then, there's this rather tasteful Cath Kitson-esque one, which after seeing the wonderful owls might be a bit of let down.

http://sandra-cherryheart.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/painted-roses-blanket.html

I urge you to look at the rest of the board, and I'm sure you won't be able to resist making an owl granny square. Even if it's only the one to put in a lovely grown-up blanket... There's also an absolutely magic Tetris one. Absolute genius.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, and I'm looking forward to sharing my progress, just as soon as I've decided on my theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment