Pages



Sunday 9 February 2014

My First Sew Along

I have never done a sew along before but I have heard of them. Working shifts meant that I couldn't do anything at the same time as everyone else, so I often felt left out. But now I'm not working shifts anymore, I'm throwing myself at social things, even if it just comes with a hashtag (#SOIsewalong in this case).
So I'm so excited that I can join in with the Sew Over It 1940s tea dress sew along. I've picked my fabric and it arrived, beautifully wrapped, from Sew Over It on Saturday. Just a quick trip to a haberdashery for a zip and thread and I'm ready to go.
I'm not going to lie - I'm a bit scared of my fabric. Not because of the cute cheetahs on it, but because it is not cotton or cotton like, and very thin and drapey. I've been sewing for years and never made anything with anything delicate. This cannot go wrong.
So determined am I that this won't go wrong, I've even prewashed my fabric. I've resolved to do this sew along by the letter and, of course, to wait until the sew along starts to sew. This is going to be very difficult for me.
If you'd like to participate, just click on the link above. You've still got time before the sewing starts to get your fabric and pattern.
The team at Sew Over It are always so friendly and delivery is very quick in my experience. They also run an array of classes and I am very jealous of anyone who gets to do one. I desperately want to make so many of their gorgeous patterns, unfortunately, most of their lovely clothes are only available if you participate in the classes. I find this annoying on many levels, but mostly because I, like so many other people, make their own clothes to save a bit of money so paying £175 for a class, plus pattern and fabric to make the 1960s coat (which I completely love) is just too much. But, they tell me that some more of their patterns will be available to buy separately soon. Here's hoping it's sooner rather than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment